Hempstead Town is hosting its Annual Family Festival by the Sea at Lido Beach Town Park on Saturday, Sept. 29 and Sunday, Sept. 30 from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. The festival will feature bands, food, craft and novelty vendors, sand sculptures, eating contests and a lineup of children's shows.
Food and craft vendors interested in participating are asked to call the Cultural Arts Section of the town Parks Department at (516) 292-9000, ext. 255.
Resident can also satisfy their appetite by sampling a taste of the clam and rib eating contests on Sept. 29 at 1 p.m. Anyone interested in entering the clam eating or rib eating contests can call (516) 812-3307.
Guests can also stroll the boardwalk to water's edge to check out the sand castle contest or race in Sunday's Biathlon. KJOY’s popular morning team "Steve & Leeana" will be on hand Saturday to meet their fans and spin the station’s wheel of prizes.
Family Festival sponsors include Swingbellys Beachside BBQ of Long Beach and Lynbrook as well as the Landshark Tiki Bar and Grille in Freeport. Additional support has been provided by Atlantic Nursery of Freeport.
Lido Beach Town Park is located at 630 Lido Boulevard in Lido Beach. Admission and parking are free. Up-to-the-minute festival information is available by calling (516) 292-9000, ext. 382 or by visiting the town's website.
Town Announces Calendar Photo Contest
The Town of Hempstead is pleased to announce its 15th Annual Calendar Photograph Contest. Accredited judges will choose from the submitted photographs that best depict a Town of Hempstead scene, event, park, circumstance or other happening.
Judges will choose at least one photograph for each month and many smaller photos for positioning within the front and back covers as well as other portions of the calendar.
The following criteria will apply to contestants’ submissions:
- This is a Town of Hempstead contest. The contest will be open to only Town of Hempstead residents (including Town of Hempstead employees) and all photographs must be taken in the Town of Hempstead.
- Deadline for submitting up to five photographs is Sept. 15. Entries can be mailed or hand delivered to: Town of Hempstead Calendar Photo Contest, One Washington St., Hempstead NY 11550 or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. No exceptions, the deadline will be strictly enforced.
- Slides, transparencies or copies of photographs may NOT be submitted. Only photographically printed photographs (any size up to 8" x 12") or digital photos (saved as approximately 9" x 14" or larger, 300 dpi jpg images) emailed to email@example.com may be submitted. All photographically printed photographs submitted will be returned upon completion of the printing of the calendar. If you have any questions regarding the formatting of emailed photos, please call Joni Blenn at 516-812-3300.
- Photographs must be accompanied by a descriptive phrase indicating the photographer, address and phone number, the approximate month/season in which the photo was taken; the location and/or event and the individual(s) (first and last name(s)) in the photograph. The photographer is responsible for submitting the correct spelling of the names of the individuals in the photographs, as well as notifying the subjects that their likeness may be reproduced in the Town of Hempstead 2013 calendar. The town will not print the names of those in the photograph, but they do need them.
- There will be at least 12 "winners" whose photos will appear as large photos and many other "winners" whose photos will appear as smaller photos in the 2013 Town of Hempstead Calendar, which will be distributed to all 240,000 homes in the Town of Hempstead. All "winners" will receive an award certificate from Supervisor Kate Murray.