Assemblyman Tom McKevitt, R-East Meadow, hosted his sixth annual “Women of Distinction” Awards ceremony on Aug. 11, and women from Merrick were among those who were honored.
Held at the Albertson VFW Hall, the event honored 22 women for the tremendous impact they have had on their communities and the diligence with which they have sought to better the lives of others through their commitment to service.
“Over the years I have met countless women whose work has enriched the lives of everyone in our community, but too often their contributions have gone unnoticed,” McKevit saidt. “The ‘Women of Distinction’ ceremony allows our community the opportunity to recognize the hard work and dedication of these women and thank them for all they have done to make a difference.”
The ceremony honored women from towns and cities across the 17th Assembly District for their accomplishments in the fields of community service, humanitarianism, education and business:
- Elizabeth Gulotta, Merrick
- Siobhan McHale, Esq., Merrick
- Miriam E. Villani, Esq., Merrick
- Dr. Loraine Alderman, East Meadow
- Kerry Calvert, Garden City
- Judith Courtney, Garden City
- Hon. Doreen Ehrbar, Williston Park
- Rose Marie Farrar, Williston Park
- Theresa Fiorentino, Albertson
- Lucy Gaglione, Mineola
- Berta Gauto, Mineola
- Mary LaClair, Garden City Park
- Mary Lane, New Hyde Park
- Jerie R. Newman, Garden City
- Seema Rahman, East Meadow
- Yurika Saito Karasz, Mineola
- Merril Schapiro Biscone, Esq., Garden City
- Joan F. Schmidt, Garden City
- Isabelle Smith, Garden City
- Diane Thorp, Williston Park
- Barbara Trapasso, Esq., Garden City
- Mary Ann Zwiebel, Williston Park
“I hope the dedication and achievements of these women will stand as a shining example to those in our community to promote the betterment of others,” McKevitt added.
Do you know the women who were honored? Tell us in the comments.