- What do you do for a living? I am a Library Director of the Merrick Library. I am proud to serve the Merrick community in this position, and work with a Board of Trustees that works diligently to improve services without any personal agendas.
- How are you involved with Merrick? The Merrick Library is an essential part of the community. We offer a “third place” to people, other than home and work (or school). Serving all ages, from babies to seniors, the Library interacts daily with members of the community. In order to make sure we are serving the community’s needs, we will be starting a long-term planning process which will include the community, to find out what they want and expect from their library. In addition, I am on the Board of the Merrick Chamber of Commerce, and get to understand the small business community and their needs.
- What’s the best thing about Merrick? The best thing about Merrick is the focus on education, culture and community service. As a library, we try to address all of those areas. Our Teen librarian, Larissa Simonovski, has developed an extensive volunteer program for teens, to provide avenues for them to achieve their required community service.
- How did you end up in Merrick? I was a librarian for many years, and then was an Assistant Director of the Syosset Library. When I heard about the opening in Merrick, I knew I wanted to be in a community that loves learning and the library, enough to pass the bond to build the new building. It was a great challenge to be involved in all of the logistics with closing the old building, functioning in temporary quarters and then building a state-of-the-art building that provides so many services to the people of Merrick. We continue to evolve, as evidenced by the addition of the Walter Mintz Digital Media Center. Marisa Crowley, our technology librarian, has been training staff and will be offering demonstrations of our 3-D printer.
- What do you do for fun? Of course, I love to read, but I love spending time with my grandsons. I enjoy music, and listen to specifically classical and jazz. I hope to travel, since I have always dreamed of seeing many of the places I have read about in books.
- Tell me about your family. Do you have any children or grandchildren? I have four sons, two daughters-in-law, two grandsons and a granddaughter due to arrive in April. I have been married for 38 years and love spending time with my husband and my family.
- What are your favorite places in Merrick? My favorites include, of course the library and our beautiful garden. I like to patronize all the local businesses. The community spirit in Merrick makes every place a favorite.
- Finish this sentence. You know you’re from Merrick when…If you are a baby boomer or older, you know you are from Merrick if you spent time at the “Library Wing” which was the original Merrick Library until the 1960’s.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something