Here are some of the most interesting blogs from the past week:
- Sunshine, Philosophy and the Jets: Brilliant skies and brisk air bespeak the season. It is the spectacular kind of Fall day when you want to be outside. Walking, bicycling, clearing your garden. The air is warm enough to invite you outdoors and cool enough to keep you there.
- Some Good News From Wantagh: At 10 a.m. Friday, the leadership of the Wantagh School District gathered together with our elementary school principals, kindergarten teachers, elected officials and community members to greet Wantagh's very first class of full-day Kindergartners.
- Loving Life on Lark Street: This past weekend, my friend Ed and I drove up to SUNY Albany to visit our girlfriends. Well technically I drove up and Ed navigated, but it’s convenient for us to car pool because not only are our girlfriends friends, but they also live in the same apartment.
- Turf Fields and Fixing up the Schools: After reading the article on Patch with regards to the discussion hosted by the Board of Ed of the CHSD and Superintendent DeTomasso, I ponder as to why the district is including the Turf fields as a part of the repairs and not separating the two issues totally apart.
- Levittown's Hall of Fame: Who are the ten most influential people in Levittown's history? Opinions may vary. Here's our list.
- Screening for Lung Cancer: In the United States, lung cancer accounts for 27 percent of all cancer related deaths; it is estimated that 6 percent of babies born here this year will die of this disease.
- Common Core? Beware! Be Informed: Follow the link to see what Commack's Superintendent of Schools had to say to the Senate Standing Committee on Education.
- Empowering Bystanders: This weekend a friend posted an anti-bullying video on Facebook. The video contained stories of three victims. The first victim, a teenage girl describing, through index cards, an ongoing incident she'd suffered at the hands of classmates.